Thursday, December 1, 2011

Shop Spotlight v5: Bean & the Sprout








Tell us about your business? 

Bean & the Sprout is a line of jewelry and accessories handmade from vintage fabrics and jewelry. Each piece is one of a kind and made by my own two hands.

What types of materials do you use in your pieces, are all of them one of a kind? 

Each piece is created from vintage prom dresses, wedding gowns, blouses, etc. and all of the jewelry is found at estate sales and flea markets. I love breathing new life into pieces that are outdated or that have lost their original luster, creating something new but with a hint of nostalgia and femininity.

 How did you start your business and when? 

I originally started making accessories after college when I didn't have a job. I have always been a lover of all things vintage and hunting for lost treasures, and began creating pieces for myself as a way to keep busy. After making pieces for friends, I started selling them at local craft fairs and on Etsy, and eventually in various shops as well.


What inspires you most in your work?

In all my creative ventures, I am inspired by color and texture above all else, but I am most inspired by the materials I use to create my pieces. I love taking an outdated 80's prom dress and pairing the color with a beautiful vintage brooch or earring. I try to create pieces that can be worn with a tee shirt and jeans to create a statement, but could also be paired with an elegant dress as well.

What do you think sets you apart from other similar businesses? 

Along with using vintage fabrics and jewelry, I think that what sets me apart is the unique way that I pair colors and materials. I really try to create something unique and different every time. Each piece is wholly unique but with its own special story. The history is something that I love.

Does your business provide any special services to customers? (i.e. alterations, lending for events, rentals, etc.) 

One of the most rewarding parts of my job is creating custom pieces. Whether I'm working with a bride to create something for her big day or taking someone's heirloom jewelry and creating an updated piece, working hand in hand with a customer is one of my favorite things to do.

Why do you think customers should shop local? 

I think that it takes a tremendous amount of passion and creativity to start your own business whether it's a restaurant, boutique or creating something out of your home. That level of dedication results in quality products and services with a personal touch. The personal relationships you are able to build by shopping local is something I value. I love the idea of knowing the person who made something, not just mass produced in some unknown place.

Etsy Shop
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment